Should we elope???? Does this sound like something you and your partner are discussing??? Does it scare or excite you?
I guess the question you need to ask yourselves is "why are we getting married" Is it for the joy of an extravagant party or would you prefer NOT being the centre of attention with over 100 pairs of eyes on you? For some people having all eyes on them is the stuff of nightmares, for whatever reason you don't love the idea of standing in front of a crowd then perhaps an elopement is for you.
Firstly sit down with your partner and discuss this with them and if you both are on the same page then go for it! Pick the destination that you went on your first holiday together, or maybe somewhere you both have wanted to visit but never got around to it. Decide on who you want to be there ( if anyone) and let the planning begin. Don't be afraid to do something different, step outside the box and just be yourself.... remember it's your wedding day- no one else's!
The date is set, venue booked, and the dress is ordered. Now it's time to think hair and makeup.
There are generally two types of brides.... those that normally wear makeup and style their hair and those that don't! If you fall into the latter, then it can be tricky to know what styles to go for. You want to feel completely comfortable on the day and like I say "the very best version of yourself". Go for hairstyles that flatter your face shape-here's a tip. If you don't know your face shape, slick your hair back and grab a washable marker, stand up close to a mirror and trace around the outline of your face shape, stand back and you'll see what shape you are-Round, Square, Oval, Heart, Triangle or Diamond.
Use the internet to search for styles that work with your shape, this may help narrow down some options. You can always try more than one style at your trial, just check in with your stylist first!
Now for makeup.... rule of thumb is "Natural glam" a classic for brides. Beautiful flawless skin, a soft but defined eye and a natural lip. A low maintenance look for the day that looks fab in photos. You can tie in colours that you might be using on the day i.e: bridesmaids dresses, flowers, grooms tie etc if you wish to.
Now off you go to your trial armed with a file of pics and be set to be glamourous!!!!
So, you've booked your hair and makeup trial... now what???
1. First things first compile a folder of pics to show your stylist, also great to have some photos of looks you DON'T like as a great comparison and to make sure both you and your stylist are on the same page. Pinterest is a great one stop shop for all things hair and makeup, you can also find old photos of hair and makeup looks you have had in the past that you have loved- maybe you were a bridesmaid and loved your hair or you attended a function, and everyone commented on how amazing your makeup looked!
2. Arrive at your trial makeup free if possible and with clean hair. No, your hairstylist does not want you to have dirty hair, that's an old wives tale! And not to mention-yuk!
3. Wear something with a similar neckline as your dress so you can really get a feel for how it will look on the day, or better yet book a fitting after your H&MU trial so you can see the whole look come together.
4. If you are unsure on what you want or wish to try 2 different styles, please let your stylist know so that they can book timings accordingly, you may need to pay extra for this but it's definitely worth it especially if you are torn between two looks!
5. Take along any hair accessories or veil with you.
6. If you are planning on a spray tan on the day get one prior to your makeup trial so your artist can match your foundation accordingly, let's face it no one wants a Donald Trump impersonation on the big day!
7. Ask your stylist to take some photos for you so you can recap or show a trusted friend later on.
8. Trust your stylist! Remember they are the professional and have a lot of experience in the wedding industry so lean into any advice they might have.
9. Double check dates and timings with your stylist and follow up with an email if need be.
10. Sit back on enjoy the experience and use the time to get to know your stylist, this will help you feel more relaxed when the big day arrives.